|Word Document PDF Document|
California Public Utilities Commission
May 8, 2009
10 Roads to a Smooth Ride:
Everything You Need to Know Before You Rent a Limousine
Are you planning to rent a limousine for a special occasion like a wedding or a prom, or just for fun? If so, the California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) wants you to be safe and have a good rental experience.
Read these 10 tips for the road to a smooth limousine ride:
1. Shop around for the best limousine company. Find out the number of passengers allowed in the limousine you want to rent and the cost per hour before proceeding.
2. Check to be certain the limousine carrier is licensed by the CPUC by calling 1-800-894-9444 or visiting www.cpuc.ca.gov (click on Transportation) for our online database.
3. When you call the CPUC or visit us online, be sure to check that the company you are considering renting from has liability insurance (owner/operators with no employees are not required to carry workers' compensation insurance).
4. Get a written agreement with the terms of hiring the limousine such as the cost, deposit required, refund and tip policies, pick-up/drop-off times, arrival and departure locations, specific type of limo requested, and services expected. This helps to ensure that you will receive the services you have requested at the cost the company quotes.
5. Ask the limousine company to show you the car you will be renting.
6. Be certain the charter-party carrier (TCP) number is displayed on the limousine - that tells you that the company is registered with the CPUC.
7. Verify that the TCP number is accurate by checking with the CPUC.
8. Remember that alcohol is not allowed in limousines carrying passengers under 21 years of age. If the driver is transporting only minors and discovers alcohol in the car, the driver is required to return the passengers to their original pick-up location.
9. Prearrangement with a limousine company is required, unlike taxi service.
10. Keep all receipts!
The CPUC licenses and regulates private "passenger carriers" such as limousines, airport shuttles, and charter bus companies.
For more information, please visit our website at www.cpuc.ca.gov or contact our
News and Public Information Office at (415) 703-1366 or firstname.lastname@example.org.