|Word Document PDF Document|
California Public Utilities Commission
505 Van Ness Ave., San Francisco
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE MEDIA ADVISORY
Media Contact: Terrie Prosper, 415.703.1366, email@example.com
CPUC PRESENTS PANEL ON WATER CHALLENGES
AT THOUGHT LEADERS SPEAKER SERIES
SAN FRANCISCO, July 8, 2010 - The California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) today announced it will host a panel discussion titled, "The Real Cost of Water and the Coming Water Shortage", as part of its 21st Century Thought Leaders in Essential Industries Speaker Series. This event is free and open to the public.
WHAT: Policy experts will engage in an interactive discussion of a politically charged and economically complicated challenge to the lifestyles and livelihoods of all Californians. Discussion topics include:
· The energy and environmental costs of water production, transport, treatment, distribution, and use;
· Climate change mitigation and adaptation costs associated with water;
· External costs not currently reflected in water prices;
· Whether agricultural and urban users pay for the real cost of their water;
· Whether California's multiple water regulatory agencies should propose a joint plan for integrating water regulation;
· The advantages and disadvantages of CPUC cost effectiveness calculations in evaluating water projects;
· How the various beneficial uses of water can be appropriately reflected in the price of water.
WHEN: Wednesday, July 14, 2010, 1:30 p.m. to 3:30 p.m.
WHERE: CPUC Auditorium, 505 Van Ness Avenue, San Francisco
Also available in real time and archived via video webcast at: www.californiaadmin.com/cpuc.shtml.
WHO: - Ellen Hanak, Senior Fellow, Public Policy Institute of California
- Michael Hanemann, Chancellor's Professor, Department of Agricultural and Resource Economics, University of California, Berkeley
- Fran Spivy-Weber, Vice-Chair of the State Water Resources Control Board
- Bob Wilkinson, Senior Lecturer, Environmental Studies and Bren School, University of California, Santa Barbara
To register for this event (not required, but appreciated) and for more information on Thought Leaders, including archived video webcasts of prior speakers, please visit www.cpuc.ca.gov/thoughtleaders.
The CPUC hosts the Thought Leaders Speaker Series to stimulate thought and discussion of some of the most pressing challenges facing California utility regulators and the private sector industries impacted by state policies. Leading experts from around the world take center stage to offer their expertise and vision in areas such as communications, energy, water, transportation, the environment, green jobs, and more.
For more information on the CPUC, please visit www.cpuc.ca.gov.