|Word Document PDF Document|
California Public Utilities Commission
505 Van Ness Ave., San Francisco
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE PRESS RELEASE
Media Contact: Terrie Prosper, 415.703.1366, email@example.com
CPUC INVESTIGATIONS RESULT IN ENFORCEMENT ACTIONS AND FINES IMPOSED ON VARIOUS MOVING COMPANIES
SAN FRANCISCO, July 19, 2012 - The California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC), in its ongoing commitment to consumer protection, has recently taken a number of actions to protect consumers from illegally operating moving companies.
During the second quarter of 2012, CPUC staff took the following enforcement actions against moving companies for violations of the Public Utilities Code and CPUC rules and regulations, including Maximum Rate Tariff 4 (MAX 4), which contains maximum rates that carriers must observe as well as rules and regulations governing intrastate moves.
Overcharges and Refunds
CPUC staff assisted and/or directed moving companies to refund consumers over $15,000 for overcharges and other violations of the Maximum Rate Tariff 4.
As part of its ongoing efforts to clamp down on illegal moving companies, the CPUC had telephone service shut off to two moving companies operating in California without a household goods permit. This company continued to advertise and hold itself out to engage in the business of transporting used household goods, notwithstanding CPUC staff directives to immediately cease and desist unlawful acts and to obtain a household goods permit.
· Larry White dba Mr. Mover, Oakland (Unlicensed): This company advertised and operated without authority. Its advertisement listed one phone number. Notwithstanding the CPUC's Cease and Desist order directing the company to immediately cease all unlawful advertisements and operations, the company continued to violate the law. On April 24, 2012, the CPUC obtained a Finding of Probable Cause signed by an Alameda County Superior Court Judge. The Finding orders disconnection of telephone service to the telephone number advertised and used by the company to violate criminal laws in the State of California.
· Robert Titus, et al. dba Titus Moving, Menifee (Unlicensed): This company operated and advertised without authority. Its advertisement listed one telephone number. Notwithstanding the CPUC's cease and desist order directing the company to immediately cease all unlawful operations, the company continued to violate the law. On April 26, 2012, the CPUC obtained a Finding of Probable Cause signed by a Riverside Superior Court Judge. The Finding orders disconnection of telephone service to the telephone number advertised and used by the company to violate criminal laws in the State of California.
The following nine companies were issued an Official Notice for advertising and operating without a permit:
1. Moves Made Easy LLC dba Moves Made Easy, Sacramento (Unlicensed)
2. Alex Soroka, dba Pacific Rim Movers, Sherman Oaks (MTR 190881)
3. Matin Khosrow dba OC American Movers Inc., Anaheim (MTR 190889)
4. Elmer Shannon dba Safe Movers, Emeryville (MTR 190891)
5. MNM Moving & Storage Inc., dba Spade Moving, Los Angeles (MTR 190794)
6. Steve Shannon dba Tip Top Movers, Sacramento (MTR 190905)
7. Guy Whetton dba Great British Movers of Grass Valley, Grass Valley. (Unlicensed)
8. Ian The Mover, Los Angeles (Unlicensed)
9. JT Moving Service, dba JT Relocation and Moving (Unlicensed)
Cease and Desist Notice
Twenty-one companies were issued a cease and desist notice for operating and advertising without a valid permit (unlicensed, revoked or denied).
Companies issued a C&D notice:
1. Yuval Bitton dba Elite Moving & Storage Inc., Sun Valley (MTR 189126)
2. Fast & Easy Moving, Glendale (Unlicensed)
3. Grigore Guzun and Balan Tolen dba Equator Moving, San Diego (Unlicensed)
4. Local Traffic Solution, Inc. dba Ant Moving, North Hollywood (MTR 0190549)
5. Gary Lee Shuey dba Cal West Transfer, Santa Cruz (MTR 115787)
6. Careful Moving, Inc. dba Hodges Moving and Storage, Santa Cruz (MTR 189314)
7. Flavio Aquino dba AA Moving & Delivery Service, San Diego (Unlicensed)
8. Murphi Bennett Kennedy dba All N 1 Moving, San Diego (Unlicensed)
9. Mark Harrell dba Family Movers, Menifee (Unlicensed)
10. Champions Movers Inc., San Jose (MTR-190342)
11. The Small Delivery Co., Compton (Unlicensed)
12. JT Moving Service, Los Angeles (Unlicensed)
13. Roberto Arias Dba 24/7 Moving Services, East Palo Alto (Unlicensed)
14. Chris Rivera dba Liquid Relocation, Costa Mesa (MTR 190341)
15. HHG 2035. Gerald Frizzel Dba Stagecoach Moving Design and Logistics, San Rafael (MTR-Unlicensed)
16. Viking Moving & Storage Inc., Oakland (MTR 190733)
17. Zhiyuan Zhang, Qing Jie Li, Shengmeng Yu, Xia Li, Dba Express Moving Services, Union City (MTR 189756)
19. Valencia Movers/ LA Movers & Packing Company, Valencia (Unlicensed)
20. Mark Reynold Anderson dba Viking Piano Movers, San Rafael (MTR 190791)
21. McDaniel Frederick L and Vera Porfirio C and Michael Salomon, dba Nexus Chauffeured Limousine, West Hills (MTR 0021205)
For more information on the CPUC, please visit www.cpuc.ca.gov.