PUC WARNS CONSUMERS: DON'T LET RENTING A LIMO
TAKE YOU FOR A RIDE
Before renting a limousine for a special occasion such as a wedding, prom, anniversary, or birthday, the California Public Utilities Commission (PUC) wants you to be in the driver's seat by observing the following tips:
· Shop around to find the limousine company that best suits your needs. Remember that limousine companies cannot advertise without a PUC permit, and that permit number must be in the advertisement.
· Check the company's status. Call the Commission's Consumer Services Division, License Section, at 1-800-877-8867 to verify that the limousine company has the following:
o PUC Permit Number
· Have a written agreement of the terms (not required, but good to have as a safeguard). This can include the following: cost, any deposit required, refund and driver tip policy, pick up/drop off times and length of rental time, arrival and departure locations, how to contact the limo if you need it before the pick up time, type of limo you want, all of the services you expect, and what the limo company expects of you. Obtain and keep all receipts of any payment to the vendor.
· Double-check with the vendor the details of the contract at least 24 hours before the date of rental.
· Write down the company's contact information, including names, phone numbers, cell phone numbers, and pagers, in the event of emergencies and/or changes in plans - particularly if it's a late night or weekend/holiday event.
· Arrange with the company to view the limousine before the requested date of service. It's your right to check out the merchandise -- in this case, the limousine -- before any arrangements and payment are made.
For more information about the PUC's regulation of passenger transportation companies, or if you would like to file a complaint against a limousine company, call the Commission's Passenger Complaint Hot Line, Consumer Services Division, at 1-800-894-9444.